Monday 10 August 2009

My Week In London

I suppose it would be a good idea to start sharing the rad stuff I find in London with Y'all... the photo quality will be crap but I will try to upload photos from my phone each week.


New Banksy or imitation?



For those of you who love (or hate) street-art you will know that Banksy is certainly the most famous artist of the genre in the UK (if not the world). After the Grays Inn area lost our beloved Banksy piece it appears the Rat is back! Not sure about the authenticity but it's nice to at absolute least have some Banksy-inspired work back in the area (check it out at the bus stop on Kings Cross Road just past Calthorpe St.)

New Advertising
Over at Brick Lane there is a new form of advertising. While pop-up shops have been all the rage lately, "pop-up advertising" is now being offered! For 1 pound a day you can buy yourself a small square to display your art, advertise your company, or share a joke. A truly brilliant idea, this would only work in Brick Lane! (Please enjoy the sweet, sweet irony of the above "ad").

Story-Board
As most of you know, this past week I was taking a fashion design course at Central St. Martins (famous alumni include Stella McCartney) over on Charing Cross road. My teacher (Ian Kettle) was truly a pleasure to work with and has been designing womenswear for 20+ years now... quite a successful run for those of you in the Industry.

Above you will find my story-board or inspiration for a scrapbook project wherein we were asked to pick a designer for whom we would undertake a project. After a bit of deliberation and a great deal of morphing, the above represents some of the inspiration for my line designed (hypothetically of course) for Yohji Yamamoto for Y3/Adidas. Ultimately, I took my inspiration from desire and distortion and tried to stay true to Yohji's love of black. I incorporated some of this season's "it" colors and ran with my own designs and prints based upon these two key words and "objects of desire". I will try to post some of my designs later but for now try to enjoy the story-board.

After this project I definitely feel ready to take the next step (after my dissertation of course). Big thanks to all of my coursemates and Ian for the inspiration and cooperation throughout the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment